Nov 12, 2009

Drink Me

It is said that when Dom Perignone had his first taste of Champagne he cried out, "Come quickly, I am tasting stars." Champagne is created by wines produced in the AOC Champagne region of France using the "methode classique". All other Champagne-styled wines are considered sparkling wines. Some have the notion that Champagne/sparkling wine shall only be enjoyed on special occasions, this is a myth. Pair it with fried Calamari or strong cheeses like Chèvre and Maroilles and drink it often and anytime. You have my permission, thank me later.

One of my favorite sparkling wines is produced in my home town of Albuquerque, New Mexico by the Gruet family. The Gruet family, originally from France migrated to Albuquerque to start a winery for the inexpensive soil and its perfect climate conditions for making wine. At 4300 ft., the Gruet vineyards are "some of the highest in the United States", the temperatures at night can "drop as much as thirty degrees, cooling the fruit and slowing down the maturation process", that coupled with "sandy and loamy soil and lack of humidity" gives Gruet consistent fruit year in and year out. I highly recommend Gruet Brut, it has a crisp full bodied taste with hints of citrus and green apple and a toasty finish. You can purchase it here.

www.gruetwinery.com

"My only regret in life is that I didn't drink enough Champagne"
-John Maynard Keynes

No comments: