Feb 19, 2010

Have a Superfly Weekend!

I've been getting into a lot of early 70's Action flicks and Blaxploitation lately. One of my favorites is Superfly. Not only did they have one of the most amazing soundtracks by Curtis Mayfield but Superfly exudes the street-tough and gritty drug life of the era.

The story is about Youngblood Priest, a hotshot drug dealer in the inner-city streets of New York. He has it all, women, money, cars but Priest wants out of the game. The only way to get out is one last score but what Priest finds out is sometimes it ain't easy to leave the game.

The clothes in the flick are great as well. I admit there are some outlandish looks in the early 70's but the wide lapel butterscotch leather jackets are my favorite. Great flick. Great soundtrack. Hope everyone has a good weekend!


Superfly snippit, 1972, Curtis Mayfield singing, Pusherman




"Look what would I do? With my record I can't even work civil service or join the damn army. If I quit now, then I took all this chance for nothing and I go back to being nothing. Working some jive job for chump change day after day. Well if that's all I'm supposed to do then they gonna have to kill me 'cause that ain't enough."

-Youngblood Priest-


Superfly Soundtrack Written & Performed by Curtis Mayfield

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it, "Freddie's dead, that's what I said..."

HOT said...

"Haven't seen you in awhile...You didn't square up on me did you?"